CALL OUT for interviews for OUT; a new performance by Rachael Young
I’m making a new performance work and I am looking for People of Colour (POC) who identify as LGBTQ+ to be interviewed about their experiences, specifically surrounding their sexual or gender identity within their communities.
About the Work:
OUT is a new interdisciplinary performance created and performed by Rachael Young, in collaboration with dance artist Dwayne Antony. Embracing personal, political and cultural dissonance, OUT combines live art practice with elements of Dancehall and Voguing, in a challenge to homophobia and transphobia within African and Caribbean communities. Audiences enter an imagined space, somewhere between a dancehall rave and a church service. They witness a physical conversation between two bodies, a defiant act of self expression where movements are re-enacted and repeated in a ritual summoning of unheard voices. The piece is underscored by a sonic composition re-mixing dancehall, R’n’B and hip hop and weaving together potent interviews and archive material.
OUT represents a an opportunity for us to consider the often looked over narratives of LGBTQ+ People of Colour in the UK. It seeks to give voice to our own unique sets of challenges and experiences.
About the Process:
- The interviews will be informal and we will work together to choose moments from the interviews that both parties feel comfortable with sharing.
- The interview will form part of a audio/sonic score which will play as part of the performance.
- Participants will be credited for their contributions and receive one complimentary ticket for one of the performances.
- Interviews will take 30-45 mins of your time.
- Interviews will take place between 19th December and 19th January.
Interviews will take place in London, we can arrange a suitable place which is convenient for you.
5th, 6th, 7th, 8th 17th, 18th & 19th January
Times can be arranged to suite
To register your interest, find out more or book in for a date/time please contact myself or sound designer Naomi on:
Rachael Young – Rachael.email@example.com
Naomi Jackson – firstname.lastname@example.org